Getting started with plain language
- What is plain language?
Start here for definitions, basic guidelines, benefits and how to recognize a plain language expert.
- Starting a plain language program
A 10-step toolkit from the first coordinator of Washington State’s Plain Talk program
- Plain writing laws
Learn about U.S. plain language laws and regulations
Plain language guidelines
- Federal Plain Language Guidelines – Federal employees at PLAIN created this practical guide. The site is full of resources and examples of how plain language can improve government document, communication and regulations.
- A Plain English Handbook: How to Create Clear SEC Disclosure Documents - A comprehensive guide to plain language in financial documents
- Plain Language Tools from the Federal Register – Guidance for writing rules and regulations
- Usability.gov – Usability.gov is a one-stop source for government web designers to learn how to make websites more usable, useful, and accessible, including usability guidelines for web content.
Plain language trainers and consultants
The Center maintains a referral list of companies that offer training and consulting in plain language. Contact us for our list.