Plain Language Organizations
The Center works closely with other plain language organizations around the world.
The Plain Language Action and Information Network (PLAIN) is a group of federal employees from many different agencies and specialties. Its goal is to promote the use of plain language for all government communications. They believe that using plain language will save federal agencies time and money and provide better service to the American public.
An international non-profit association of plain-language advocates and professionals. PLAIN sponsors a bi-annual conference.
PLAIN International’s 7th international conference was held in Sydney, Australia, October 15 – 18, 2009
PLAIN 2011 will be in Stockholm, Sweden in June 2011.
A worldwide group of lawyers and interested lay people. Its aim is the use of good, clear language by the legal profession. Clarity sponsors a bi-annual conference. Clarity 2010 is in Lisbon in October 2010
Based in Sydney, Australia, the Foundation promotes plain language use in government and corporations in Australia and internationally. Its workshops have trained almost 10,000 people to communicate with clarity. The Foundation also edits, designs and evaluates documents for many organizations.
- Belgium: French Community “Ecrire pour être lu”
- Finland: Selkokieli
- France: COSLA (Conseil pour la simplificaton du langage administratif)
- Ireland: National Adult Literacy Agency
- Italy: CHIARO!
- Netherlands: BureauTaal (the first plain language organisation)
- Portugal: Portugues Claro
- Sweden: Klarspraksgruppen (The Plain Swedish Group)
- United Kingdom: Plain Language Commission
- United Kingdom: Plain English Campaign