The ClearMark Awards are North America’s premiere plain language awards. Every Spring, we recognize the best print and digital work of plain language communicators.
We’re looking for an organized, committed and savvy Program Chair to help us execute this program. If you have experience in hosting live events and webinars, that’s great. If you’re willing to learn under the mentorship of experienced board members, that’s okay too.
Serving as the Event Chair is a powerful way to promote plain language, and have a positive impact on the plain language community. The Program Chair oversees the entire ClearMark Awards process, from launching the Awards nominations season in December to the presentation of the trophies the following May.
Responsibilities of the position for 2018-2019 include:
- Awards distribution, such as ordering trophies and communicating with finalists
- Webinar and Digital support, such as planning for a virtual event show and preparing awards information for online distribution
- Attends regular (virtual) meetings with the Center board and other volunteers
- Works closely with the Chair, Communications committee, Executive Director and technology contractors
Responsibilities for the position in the future may include:
- Location arrangements, such as scheduling the event, selecting the menu, and communicating with the venue.
- Program and presentation creation, such as designing the program and writing content
- Ceremony design, such as selecting entertainment, creating the script, and building the evening’s timing
Term of Service: The Program Chair is appointed for a one-year term, contingent upon satisfactory annual review, and may be reappointed for subsequent one-year terms.
Eligibility: The Program Chair is eligible for other Center volunteer positions and may be considered for appointment to the Board of Directors.
Time Required: The position demands more time from December to May. The exact hours per week will vary.
Scope of Authority: The Program Chair assists the Chair of the Communications committee and Deputy Executive Director.
Progress Review: Performance is monitored on an on-going basis.
Available Resources: The Program Chair will be afforded the necessary guidance, training and materials needed to facilitate leadership responsibilities. The Program Chair will have access to Basecamp and a Gmail account for conducting Center business.
Pay: There is no salary or hourly pay for this position.
Volunteer Policy: Center for Plain Language volunteers will receive equal opportunity and treatment throughout recruitment, appointment, training, and service. There will be no discrimination based on age, disabilities, gender, race, national or ethnic origin, religion, economic status, or sexual orientation.