Okay, raise your hand if you like to win.
Now, keep it up if you like to be recognized for your great work.
And, keep it up if you LOVE filling out long forms and writing up a check request for the entry fee for an awards program for which your odds of winning are just slightly better than the average Powerball drawing.
I thought so.
Well, if you do work in the area of health literacy, health equity, addressing health disparities, or really anything to do with healthcare and clear, effective communication, we have an awards program that may restore a bit of your faith in humankind—or at least, in awards programs.
The IHA Health Literacy Awards are designed to recognize excellence in 4 areas:
- Innovative Programs: Projects that demonstrate innovative, practical and effective solutions to addressing limited health literacy.
- Published Materials: Written materials (digital or printed) that contribute to effective communication with those with limited health literacy.
- Research: Studies using well-defined methodologies that further illustrate the relationship between health literacy skills and health outcomes, cost, or disparities; or present evidence of effective health literacy interventions.
- International: Efforts outside of the United States that empower people to better health through improved health literacy.
As you can see, plenty of buckets from which to choose. AND, no entry fees! Yeah AND Hoo!
But how do I know if my project qualifies? Well, does your project…
- Empower people to better health?
- Address an aspect of health literacy?
- Aim to solve an identified healthcare problem?
- Have a completion date within the past 2 years?
- Impact or have the potential to affect the greater healthcare community?
Yes? Well then, go here and download the form (we promise, 15 minutes tops to fill it out).
Winners get a whole bunch of considerations:
- A nice big check for $500!
- Complimentary registration for 1 to the 17th Annual IHA Health Literacy Conference
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference for 1 (for those outside the greater LA/Orange County area…who wants to fly from LAX to John Wayne Airport?)
- 2 nights’ hotel accommodations at the Hotel Irvine (very cool digs)
- Plus a lovely winner’s plaque (nicer than most you get for such awards programs…really!)
Get those nominations in now. Questions? Of course you do. Call us at (800) 434-4633 and we’ll answer ‘em all.
See you in the winner’s circle!
About the author:
Michael Villaire, MSLM, is the CEO of the Institute for Healthcare Advancement. In addition to providing leadership for IHA, Villaire formerly sat on the Board of Directors of the Center for Plain Language and is a member of the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine’s Roundtable on Health Literacy. He is the winner of Health Literacy Media’s 2015 Doak Health Literacy Champion Award.